End of tenancy cleaning is a must for any person or landlord who has lived in or rented out their property.
This blog post breaks down the details on what needs to be done to get your deposit back at the end of a lease agreement.
The Importance of End of Tenancy Cleaning
When a tenant leaves a property, it is more often than not that the property is left in a poor condition.
Whilst the tenant may have paid rent, this doesn’t compensate the landlord for damages caused to their rental property when they left. This is why owners must carry out end-of-tenancy cleaning if the tenant hasn’t left it in a satisfactory condition.
This also ensures that tenants aren’t able to claim compensation from the property’s owner if they lose their deposit, due to the owner having to carry out the end of tenancy cleaning to get it back to a satisfactory condition.
Why Is It Important to Clean the Property at the End of Your Tenancy Agreement?
If you have ever wondered why the cleaning at the end of a tenancy agreement is so important, it’s mainly to protect the landlord from claims that might arise from the rental property not being left in a suitable condition.
So let us look at some of the factors that should be addressed when a tenancy agreement comes to the end.
Cleanliness is very important, so landlords should ensure that any litter or mess has been removed and that the rental property has been cleaned to a high standard.
The property should be cleaned to a professional standard along with the floors, walls, and garden.
Returning the property to its previous state will mean that any claims for damages will be avoided in the future.
A landlord will only be able to recover costs if they can prove that there was a fault or negligence on their part and that the tenant or person living in the rental property contributed to this in some way.
A landlord can take an inventory list of the property to ensure that everything is left in the same condition that it was in when the tenant moved in.
This will promote fairness for both parties and ensure that the property is returned to the landlord in the same condition that it was in before the tenant moved in or out.
Carrying Out Work on the Property
A landlord should not allow tenants to do renovations to the rental property without explicit permission to do so.
This could cause problems in the future, making the landlord liable for any damage caused to the rental property, especially as the landlord may have to revert any work that has been done and this could be very costly, so the best practice is to only allow tenants to carry out renovations that are necessary or urgent.
Why Should You Use Professional Cleaners for the Job?
At the time, you might not think it is a good idea to hire professional cleaners for the job, this is mostly due to saving money where you can.
We all like to think that we can do a pretty good job ourselves. But what we don’t realise is that hiring a professional cleaning company can have many benefits.
Professionally-trained cleaners will work harder and more efficiently than we can. This can allow us to focus on other aspects of our life when we hire a professional cleaning service, and this will help us to concentrate on some of the more important things, such as unpacking at the other end, especially if you have just moved out of the current property.
Professional cleaners will also ensure that they clean the entire property within the allocated time frame that’s been agreed beforehand, making sure that it is up to the standard of the landlord, this can help ensure you get your deposit back.
Here are just a few benefits of hiring a professional cleaning company for your end of tenancy agreement:
- Professional cleaners will have the right cleaning products needed for the job, and they will be able to identify which cleaning products are likely to be more effective and suitable for the job at hand.
- They will have professional training on how to use cleaning products effectively, and they will have the skills and knowledge to adapt their methods to meet the needs of their clients.
- They will be careful and methodical in their work, and they will make sure that their workmanship is of the highest possible standard.
- They will observe all health and safety regulations while they are working and while they are cleaning up a property.
- They will be able to deliver a high standard of workmanship without causing any damage to the property.
Tips to Make Sure Your Landlord Approves of Your Cleaner’s Work
To make sure that your landlord approves of the work done by the cleaners, we have provided some tips below of things to check to make sure the job has been done properly.
- Check to see if all the areas of the home have been thoroughly cleaned.
- Check to see if the cleaning team has removed any existing marks on walls, floors, carpets, and upholstery.
- Check to see if the cleaning team has removed all debris from the cabinets, furniture, appliances, etc…
- Check to see if the cleaning team has thoroughly cleaned the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Lastly, when the cleaners have finished all of their work, they should provide you with a list that you can provide to the landlord, as a sort of checklist showing which areas were cleaned, and if any areas were not cleaned, be sure to check that everything is in order.
This just ensures that you are happy with everything before the cleaners leave the property, and will ensure that everything is up to the correct standards.
The Importance of Getting a Quote Before Hiring an End of Tenancy Cleaner
Before you hire a cleaning company, it is important that you get a quote, so you know exactly how much it costs to get your property cleaned.
With so many companies out there, and so much competition, it is easy to get overcharged by a company that is perhaps not as skilled or experienced as they make out. It is normal for different people to request different prices when it comes to professional cleaning companies.
The price will depend on the amount of cleaning that needs to be done, other factors can include: the size of the property and the materials used in cleaning. So take extra care when choosing a professional cleaning company and make sure you get multiple quotes, also be sure to check any online reviews and references, as this is the best way to get an idea of what the company is all about.
Things to Do After You’ve Moved Out and Cleaned Up the Property
Having a clean home is essential, especially once you have moved out of the property.
But the final touches are important when it comes to making your property look its best, so it is important to know what to do after you’ve cleaned and tidied up your property. One thing that is often overlooked is the final checks, let us point out some final things you should be checking:
- Make sure the property looks good outside. The last thing you want is for someone to look at the property and assume that something hasn’t been done properly inside.
- Check the property for any faults or any problems that you may have missed. Some people like to get professional cleaners in, but as long as they are doing the job properly, it shouldn’t be a problem for you to have a look around.
- Make sure there are no broken windows or doors. These shouldn’t be an issue, but it is better to find them in case they do need to be replaced.
- Get rid of any rubbish you have inside and outside of the property. Never leave anything lying around.
How to Get Back Your Deposit?
As long as you have made sure that the property has been cleaned to a great standard and that there has been no damage to the property, it will be fine for you to receive your deposit back.
However, it is best to compare it to the checklist to ensure that you have gotten everything back that you are entitled to. Once the landlord is happy they will return your deposit within 30 days.
It is important to clean the property at the end of your tenancy agreement.
This ensures that you are prepared for any inspections and will make it easier on your landlord when they do their final inspection, or will make it ready for when the next tenants move in. If you are a tenant leaving the property, then you should consider using professional cleaners to get the job done because this way you know it’s done correctly, and guarantees approval from your landlord before returning your deposit to you.
If you are a landlord and don’t have a lot of time for cleaning up a mess left behind from a tenant, hiring a cleaning company can save you a lot of time. Be careful though, as hiring a cleaner can be expensive if not done right – so get quotes before hiring someone!
To find out more about our services contact us today.